The Role of the Participatory Depositor in the Governance of Islamic Banks
- Simona Franzoni
- Asma Ait Allali
The aim of this paper is to verify whether participatory depositors, a special category of stakeholder that entrusts its savings to the Islamic Bank on the basis of the Profit and Loss Sharing principle, could be better protected by providing for them to be represented in the governance bodies of the Bank.
The analysis that was carried out and consideration of potential risks this category of saver could be exposed to shows the need to ensure greater protection to participatory depositors compared to other stakeholders. Three working hypotheses on the protection method to be applied are formulated.
The study was carried out on the basis of a comparative analysis of four case studies from Malaysia, Morocco, Germany and Italy respectively.
The performed analysis has led to the conclusion that the representation of participatory depositors should be provided in specific corporate governance committees.
- Academic Journals Database
- AIDEA list (Italian Academy of Business Administration)
- ANVUR (Italian National Agency for the Evaluation of Universities and Research Institutes)
- Electronic Journals Library
- Elektronische Zeitschriftenbibliothek (EZB)
- EuroPub Database
- Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA)
- Genamics JournalSeek
- GETIT@YALE (Yale University Library)
- IBZ Online
- Library and Archives Canada
- National Library of Australia
- Norwegian Centre for Research Data (NSD)
- Open J-Gate
- OskiCat (UCB Library)
- PKP Open Archives Harvester
- Standard Periodical Directory
- StarPlus (UoS Library)
- UCR Library
- Universe Digital Library
- ZBW-German National Library of Economics
- Stephen LeeEditorial Assistant