Promotion Opportunity on Employee Career Change Decision: The Case of a Selected Learning Institution in Kenya
- Tuwei G.
- Matelong N.
- Boit R.
- Tallam Z.
AbstractEmployees are a vital competitive tool for organisations; given that success of organisation is determined by its human resources; however career change intention is little known. Knowing the implication of career change in terms of direct cost; replacement, recruitment and selection, temporary staff, management time, or in terms of indirect costs like morale, pressure on remaining staff, cost of learning, organizational can take appropriate measures to reduce career change. Thus, this study examined the effect of promotion opportunity on non teaching staff career change intention in Moi University Eldoret Municipality Kenya. Herzberg’s two factor theory guided this study. The research design was a survey. Individual elements were selected using stratified systematic random sampling techniques and the sample size determination was based on Nassiuma method. Data was analysed using both descriptive and inferential statistics. The specific analysis methods in this study included frequencies, percentages, spearman correlation, phi and ordinal regression. The findings indicated that; promotion opportunity had a significant relationship with non teaching staff career change intention. The findings indicated that non teaching staff considered promotion opportunity as the critical indicator of their perception of job satisfaction. This study concludes that promotion opportunity as perceived by non teaching staff had a higher effect on career change intention in Moi University Eldoret Municipality Kenya. Arising from the conclusion of this study, it is recommended that, Moi University ensure that promotion should be based on merit to reduce chances of career change.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.
- Academic Journals Database
- AIDEA list (Italian Academy of Business Administration)
- ANVUR (Italian National Agency for the Evaluation of Universities and Research Institutes)
- Electronic Journals Library
- Elektronische Zeitschriftenbibliothek (EZB)
- EuroPub Database
- Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA)
- Genamics JournalSeek
- GETIT@YALE (Yale University Library)
- IBZ Online
- Library and Archives Canada
- National Library of Australia
- Norwegian Centre for Research Data (NSD)
- Open J-Gate
- OskiCat (UCB Library)
- PKP Open Archives Harvester
- Standard Periodical Directory
- StarPlus (UoS Library)
- UCR Library
- Universe Digital Library
- ZBW-German National Library of Economics
- Stephen LeeEditorial Assistant