Polymorphism, Allelic and Genotypic Frequencies of κ-Casein and β-LG genes in Egyptian Buffaloes

  •  Z. M. Al-Shawa    
  •  M. F. El-Zarei    
  •  A. A. Ghazy    
  •  M. A. Ayoub    
  •  S. M. Merdan    
  •  S. A. Mokhtar    


With a view to detecting the genotypes of both κ-CN and β-LG genes in native populations of Egyptian buffalo using PCR-RFLP technique, 80 randomly, individuals were selected from five geographical locations of some Egyptian provinces. Also, to estimate the population genetic parameters such as, allelic and genotypic frequencies, heterozygosity, and inbreeding coefficient (FIS) of these studied genes. For genotyping, 453 bp PCR product of κ-CN was digested with AcuI and HpyCH4IV (Isoschizomer for MaeII) restriction enzymes while the 247 bp PCR product of β-LG was digested with HaeIII restriction enzyme. PCR-RFLP results discovered polymorphism at the level of κ-CN gene in all studied Egyptian buffaloes with two distinct alleles “A” and “B”. PCR-RFLP analysis for κ-CN gene using both restriction enzymes successfully detected that polymorphic status of the studied populations. We recommended using AcuI enzyme which was more capable for differentiating between homozygous (17%) and heterozygous (83%) individuals than HpyCH4IV enzyme which defined only 4% of homozygous individuals and the remaining was heterozygous (96%) individuals. Existence of heterozygosity excess in all studied populations referred to higher degree of genetic variability between individuals within these populations. On contrary, results of PCR-RFLP at the level of β-LG gene revealed a monomorphic pattern of Egyptian buffaloes and genotyped as “AA” animals which signified that PCR-RFLP assay with HaeIII enzyme for β-LG gene failed to discover any evidence of polymorphism in Egyptian buffalo under the circumstances of this study or all studied animals possess only one allele.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.