Prevalence of Nicotine Dependence Among Industrial Workers in Myanmar

  •  Myo Zin Oo    
  •  Alessio Panza    
  •  Sathirakorn Pongpanich    


Smoking is one of the major public health concerns and it is harmful to people’s health status. This cross sectional survey was conducted to study the Nicotine dependence among industrial workers in Myanmar. Mandalay city was purposively selected where the second largest industrial zone is situated. A total of two hundred and ninety two industrial workers aged sixteen years old and above participated. Data collection was done by using an interviewer administered questionnaire. Data analysis was done by using SPSS version 23 and descriptive findings were interpreted as frequency and percentage, and the chi-squared test was used to find the association of nicotine dependence. The significance level of all statistical tests was determined with the p value < 0.05. All of the respondents were male (100%) and the mean age of the respondents was 30.7. About 75% of the industrial workers showed low and very low dependence from the nicotine while the rest 25% showed medium to very high dependence. There was a statistically significance association between age (p < 0.001), marital status (p = 0.031), education status (p < 0.001), income (p < 0.001), age at first cigarette smoked (p < 0.001) and number of years cigarette smoked (p < 0.015) and nicotine dependence. Further studies with similar setting are recommended to conduct on nicotine dependence and its correlation among the industrial workers in Myanmar, and the government authority should plan and conduct the effective intervention on health education and awareness program about smoking and nicotine dependence.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.